Friday, May 6, 2011

FOUR HYDRANGEAS

8x6 on Cradled Panel

Learning to paint is learning to see. More contrast. More contrast. To create you must think: cool, warm, related color, reflected color, dark, light, thick, thin, dissimilar spaces, opposite contrasting movements,---like music, slow, fast,; but all must relate to create symphony both on canvas or in the music hall. Every painting needs active and quiet areas and feeling of poetry and drama. If painting gray day, make it gray. Use gray and silver. If painting sunny day, use oranges, red, yellows, greens—make it happy. Every element of painting must tie together, must have unity, must express mood." -Sergei Bongart


This is such a fantastic quote and one that hits home for me! I've been reading a little about other artists and viewing their work. Dan McCaw is one artist that I've liked as soon as I discovered him. I'm trying to simplify and look at shapes and design more than the object I am painting. I am discovering new ways to look at everyday objects and it is exciting! I want to use less detail and push the boundaries (whatever those self imposed boundaries are). It is a bit scary in some ways to leave the familiar to explore and experiment. But, growing in art is why I began this blog.

$100.00 free shipping in US




11 comments:

  1. This has a great abstract quality to it. I like the soft edges and color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful and a little mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful colors and love the light on this! I will check out Dan McCaw- sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your comment..growing in art is why I started this blog. That says it all Linda. Great self portrait on DPW, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun to see your abstraction of the flowers inspired by McCaw...beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see the Dan McCaw influence. I also am a huge fan of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the abstract shapes in this one, Linda. It's beautiful even if it didn't represent flowers. I just like sitting back and looking at how the lines of the vase and table intersect. Very nice dreamy quality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice, Linda! It's been so interesting to follow your evolution through your blog. Love to see that you're experimenting! Thanks so much for linking Dan McCaw. He works in the same vein as one of my all-time heroes, Nathan Olivera. I'm going to be so happy looking at all the McCaw family work . . . so much to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great quote. I love Dan McCaw's work too! He has a great book if you can get it at the library. It costs about seven hundred dollars!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda do you have the Dan McCaw book? I think you should be very proud of this painting as you have captured such a wonderful atmosphere. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to view my blog and leaving a comment! I read and appreciate each and every one!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...