Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Katie's Vase with Flowers

8x6 Oil on Canvas Panel

I wanted to try a different support and found a canvas panel from Raymar in my stacks of panels. It defintely feels different and it took quite a while to become accustomed to a little more texture than the smooth gessobord I normally use. At this point I still prefer the gessobord, but I am going to paint once in a while on the canvas panel as it does bring a distinct texture to the painting. I ordered some panels for Carol Marine's workshop I will be attending next month (can't wait!) so I will have some here to play with when I feel like it. They will be used as well as the gessobords from Ampersand I will bring. What are your favorite supports? Does the size of the painting determine the type of support you use?

7 comments:

  1. I love the textures in this painting. I also love that contrast in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I really like the warm colors an composition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, Linda, the browns in three places make an interesting composition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful composition, Linda. The dark angle and the dark shadow form a very interesting pattern. Love the colors in this one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Forgot to comment on your question. I use canvas panels for the small paintings and stretched canvas for the larger ones. One reason is cost--the panels are much less than a stretched canvas of the same size. My small paintings are just for practice, anyway. I tried painting on gesso board, and the thing I DIDN"T like is the lack of texture. Funny, isn't it?

    Where is CM's workshop being held? I was too late for her workshop in San Antonio this year. I couldn't believe how quickly it filled up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda---great looking painting...in your signature fresh style. I use gessoboard, raymar and w&n and I am thinking about priming some of my w&n with lead ground. Thinking about it...not yet actually doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The angle of the background is so interesting Linda! And love the painting.

    As for me, I'm a pastelist so use La Carte Pastel, yet sometimes will prepare + use wooden panels.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to view my blog and leaving a comment! I read and appreciate each and every one!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...